The Mechanical Testing of Materials Laboratory is located on the first floor of the Materials Research Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The facility is utilized for undergraduate education and graduate research in the Materials Science and Engineering Department and, accommodates other requests from outside Departments, Schools, and customers as available for scheduling. Operational training and project consultation can be provided as required for sample preparation and testing of materials. Test machines are calibrated to ASTM requirements and can be re-verified upon request at the customer’s expense.
- Processing Furnaces & Ovens: (4) Box Furnaces up to 1500 C; (1) Crucible Furnace up to 1200 C; (2) Quartz Tube Furnaces to 1200 C; (1) Ceramic Tube Furnace to 1500 C; (1) Vacuum Oven to 260 C
- Micrometrics AcuPyc 1330 Gas Pycometer
- (3) Carver 1000lb. Press
- (2) Wilson Rockwell Hardness Tester
- Wilson Superficial Hardness Tester
- Creep & Rupture Test Machine
- ATS 10,000lb. System
- ATS 20,000lb. System
- Meta Serv Jominy End Quench Unit
- US Stoneware Small Rolling Mill
- Instron 4204 Electro-Mechanical Test System: 1, 5, & 50 kN Load cells, Strain Gauge and Video Extensometry, Test Rate of 0.05 to 500mm/min., Tension, Compression, Bending, & Shear Fixtures, Crosshead Travel of 1170mm
- Instron 8562 Electric Actuator Test System:10 kN & 100 kN Load Cells, Strain Gauge and Capacitive Extensometry, Dynamic Test Rate of .0001 to 1.00 Hz., +/- 50.0mm Actuator Stroke, High Temperature Furnace to 1500 C
- Instron 5843 Electro-Mechanical Test System:10 N & 1.0 kN Load Cells, Strain Gauge and Video Extensometry, Test Rate of 0.05 to 1000mm/ min, Tension & Compression Fixtures, Crosshead Travel of 1000mm
Who can access
Internal users. External users.
Costs and Fees
The facility is a recharge center and rates are established annually by Departmental finance personnel.
Director: Donald Van Steele