The Center for Computational Innovations (CCI) was formed in 2007 through a Rensselaer, New York State, IBM partnership with the stated mission to support continuing advances in shrinking device dimensions and the development of new nanotechnologies across a wide array of industries. CCI has quickly become a vital resource for a broad range of Rensselaer researchers and their colleagues throughout New York State, and a powerful competitive advantage for New York State industry.
CCI works with a wide range of campus centers, multi-institution projects, and national/global organizations to support its academic and industry partners in adopting high-performance computing and developing next-generation computational and data-intensive techniques. CCI, in partnership with Rensselaer’s Scientific Computation Research Center (SCOREC) and other collaborators, can provide:
- Access to world-class High-Performance Computing (HPC) and data resources
- Training and consulting
- Collaborative development of scalable next-generation simulation and data-intensive research capabilities
- Problem/product-focused basic research
- Consulting and connections to other national resources and to the national dialog on harnessing HPC for competitiveness
- 32,768 core IBM Blue Gene L, 73 TF
- 1848 Opteron core Blade Server, 7 TF
- 832 TB Disk Storage Array
- IBM SMP Servers (64-256 GB)
CCI provides a broad range of installed software for users and is able to work with individual projects to make additional open source and commercial software packages available. Installed software includes: PHASTA, Open FOAM, GROMACS, LAMMPS, NAMD, CPMD, VASP, ParaView, VTK, ITK, Zoltan, AMSI, FMDB, PETSC, and MPI.
Who can access
CCI provides Rensselaer faculty and students and academic and industry users across New York State with no-cost/subsidized allocations of computational and data resources through competitive allocation processes. CCI is also able to partner or sub-contract on grant proposals to provide additional capabilities, and runs an industry-centric Membership program that offers significant flexibility to allow members to tailor their engagement to address specific business needs.